Finance is a dynamic device in modern economies and plays an essential role in growth in both developed and developing countries. Islamic finance is one of the fastest growing area of International finance and plays an important role in debt and equity–based mechanisms.
Conventional financial institutions are keen to offer diverse banking products and this has led to a growing interest in Islamic finance, from a business, education and knowledge perspective. This has stimulated demand for industry-related research activities and academic programs in Islamic finance. London is the largest international centre for Islamic finance outside the Muslim World, largely as a result of the City’s role as a centre for Middle Eastern and Asian banking. This provides excellent opportunities for the School of Business and Law as Canary Wharf is London’s banking district and close to a substantial Muslim population.
The Centre aims to be the natural home for the Centre of Excellence in Islamic Finance in the UK.
- To be an internationally recognised centre of excellence in the dissemination, application and critique of Islamic banking and finance processes and practices.
- To establish a strong support, research, teaching, training and engagement Centre that focuses on Islamic banking and finance.
Our mission is to provide a forum for research, education, training, consultation and dialogue on Islamic finance and banking industry practices. The Centre also serves as a bridge in terms of examining best practices in banking and finance by proffering studies that compare conventional and Islamic practices.
- To become the UK leading Islamic Finance and Banking educational and research centre
- To act as a professional body for training, consultation and advisory services for Islamic Banking and Finance Industry.
- To pursue genuine industry–related research in Islamic Finance.
- The Islamic banking and Finance Centre is built on a three pillars model that comprises education and research, training, consultancy and advisory services related activities.
For more information see our website here.